November 06, 2015

YWAM Kathmandu

Yesterday, after Derek arrived back home, we managed (after some very frustrating pitfalls) to procure a phone and a SIM card so that I can keep in touch with others at the organization I will be working with. They had given me a "map," in pen, to find their office the next day, and I was concerned (for good reason) that going past Derek's hospital for an unknown amount of time or distance, along unmarked roads, to find a red brick building with a black gate, behind a construction building, somewhere on one of four roads...well, you get the picture. When I arrived, the man there said I was very early (they start work at 10 - it was 8:30) and also that I was a magician with orienteering if I actually managed to find the place alone without help the first time. Bonus points for Travel Kendra.

Do you know Travel Kendra? Only a few do. Frankly, she's much more likable and laid back than American Kendra. She has no schedule, no time restrictions, low expectations. She rolls with the punches. Doesn't sound like someone you know? Thankfully, if you know and put up with American Kendra, odds are pretty good that you'd get along well with Travel Kendra.

Also, we got a gym membership and ran on the two working treadmills and lifted weights in a gym that I can only describe as falling short of DAHLC standards (people in Rochester would shutter to find that there is only one tattered yoga mat and NOTHING to wipe the machines down with - a complete shock to us, of course). When we left, I wondered how long it would take for the ring worm to show up. Thankfully, I'm still waiting.

We went to a Japanese restaurant (we were disgusting, but when we tried to ask if we were dressed well enough to dine, they answered us by graciously accepting our patronage and put us in the back of the outdoor garden), had an epic meal of grilled vegetables, and then realized that we were 100 rupees short (the equivalent of a dollar) thanks to their VAT and service charges, so Derek left me while he ran home for the money. I must say for myself, I'm a pretty good ransom assurance.



So today, I made my way through the labyrinth of this city's roads to the YWAM Kathmandu office to start on a project for them. I will be interviewing the leaders of 26 different mission groups to learn more about them, and so that they can have their missions shared to receive prayer and support. Let me tell you about the five I reviewed today:

  1. Church Planting Team - Spreads the Good News through discipleship and holistic transformation by building independent, sustainable churches (helps communities with hygiene lessons, Bible distribution, English language assistance, music, sports, etc.)
  2. Driving DTS (Brand New) - Still in an ideation phase, this mission caters to drivers, who have a poor reputation in Asia, to minister to them in order to revive their reputations, give them hope, and allow them to share that hope with other drivers and passengers.
  3. Jiri Team - A multi-faceted organization that helps through a Children's home, pop up medical clinics (they served 500 people this year in only 2 days), educational scholarships, discipleship training, social work, physical rebuilding efforts, etc.
  4. New Life House - For homeless or needy women and their children, this group gives women vocational training (like sewing and basket-making) and sends their children to school during a 5 month training program that helps them get back on their feet and reintegrated with their families.
  5. Frontier Missions - Church planting teams that focus on specific people groups in the high Himalayan areas of Nepal.
Want to give to any of these deserving groups? Click here and enter in for the ministry YWAM Kathmandu center, the contact's name is Ishak Tamang (he is the Valley Leader), and indicate which organization you'd like to support in the instructions box. ALL of these groups have incredible projects that need monetary support - they'll use it well.

There's one other thing you should know about Travel Kendra - she has a trigger finger for making crazy, last-minute, life-altering decisions. Today, she was offered an opportunity to work with YWAM in a very unique way - a way that will probably make her mothers in America ill, once again. But, Travel Kendra discussed it with Travel Derek and he's on board! So little time to prepare...

4 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm bracing myself - what are you going to be doing???

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm covering you in prayers, from several sources -- the ONLY thing i can control! be safe, nooooog! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still praying my fanny off for your (& d's) safety. Whenever you pop into my mind, I stop what I'm doing & lift you both up in prayer. God is in control. You are in His capable, loving hands. His angels have charge over you!! What a comfort to know that!!

    I'm loving your detailed writings & wonder how you keep all of the organizations straight?? Glad to know that you've landed on one project to focus on... what an amazing, one-of-a-kind opportunity!

    I love you to pieces,

    Mom

    ReplyDelete